Sunday, December 7, 2008

RAW 08...

Sorry guys, once again, I'm extremely tired, and I really can't concentrate enough to write something from scratch. I will however post up an old post from my Bebo page. Hope this enthralls you:

RAW 08: Changing the Rhythm of the Nation.

Well it’s that time once again ladies and gents, my summery of yet another Ovoca camp. It’s amazing how quickly these camps come, but also how quickly they go as well. All I can say is that RAW has to be one, if not THE, greatest camp I’ve been to. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.

The whole experience of RAW began before I even set a foot on the manor’s grounds. It all began at Connolly Station, where I was to meet up with, who would turn out to be some of the most annoying people, Kirsten, Courtney, and David. Why do I consider them annoying? Ask them yourselves. They’ll be happy to explain.

Once we actually reached the manor, we were instantly greeted by Damo, who told us to literally, strip off our top clothes, and put our white t-shirts on…which we did, albeit reluctantly. Inside, we were greeted by familiar face, and received our name badges. By this stage, we were wondering why we were wearing white t-shirts. And so came the answer, in the form of Damo, saying he wanted this camp to be “anti-clique.” For those of you who were there, you understand, but for those who weren’t there, he basically wanted people to feel comfortable about talking to anyone, at any stage. Clever idea.

We were a bit early (well about 3 hours early) so we got our rooms sorted, and then just waited… Yep, waited till the rest of the campers started to arrive. Then it was party time! Dinner, and then some free time before our first worship session and talk, where Damo’s wife, Jeannine, gave a talk on what exactly changing the rhythm of the nation means. Very interesting. Then it was time to go to the chipper…Unfortunately, due to the Irish weather, we were forced to stay inside. However, all was not lost, when Damo announced that we watch some movies instead. Then it was time for bed.

After waking up from about 5 hours of sleep, it was time for breakfast. The normal cereal and toast were once again are only option. After breakfast, it was time for our second talk with Holly, who told us of her experiences in Jerusalem. Then it was time to personalize our white t-shirts, with out names on the back, and RAW 08 on the front, spray-painted in different colours. A lot of them turned out really cool. Before heading to our next activity, I decided to check out the prayer room, an area where we could just come before God and be silent. I have to say, that the organisers did an amazing job with this room, as well as the chill-out room, an area to play games, and just chillax. Great room. It was then time for the highlight of the day. After we were shown a clip from “Ballykisangel” we were told to finish of the scene in different TV styles, for example, Home and Away. We were given some conditions which had to be met, and then we were split into different groups. I have to say, that I don’t think I’ve laughed so much in my short life. Some of the stuff was pure gold. Be sure to check back here for the links to the videos.

It was then time for dinner, and after, our next talk on things which give us fear, given by Fishy. After the talk, we all took part in the “labyrinth,” a set of rooms, in which were to complete different things of a spiritual nature. I have to say that this was really amazing. Finally, after some more amazing worship (led by Jonny Somervile), it was time for bed once again.

Again, woke up after 4 hours sleep, breakfast, and then our next talk by Andy, who talked about Paul. More worship, and then it was time for the main activity of the day. Once the troops were gathered in the conference room, commander Parle instructed his troops on what they would face; games involving rescuing campers, while dodging eggs, tomatoes, and water balloons. After that, it was a giant paint balloon fight with the goal of capturing the opposing team’s flag. Somehow, I managed to stay clean, but that can’t be said of everyone! :P Again, dinner, worship and a talk from Jonny. Bed time.

After receiving only two hours of sleep, we woke at 5:00 in the morning to go to see the sunrise on Easter morning. Pretty tired at that stage, so it didn’t take me long to get back to sleep. After we woke up (again) we were greeted with a fry, something which is rare in Ovoca. Another talk, this time from Damo’s mother about St. Patrick. The rest of the day was spent relaxing, just chillin out with friends, playing games and talking. After that, it was time to get dressed for the Oscars, where our films would be screened. Amazing fun!

Then came what was possibly the highlight of the camp, the evening worship. Just pouring out everything to God, was just incredible. There are more personal things which happened that evening, but I can’t really say. But to those of you who know what I am talking about, thank you.

Monday morning came, and the fact that camp was almost over dawned on everyone. With some final worship, and a pep rally by Damo, we cleaned the manor, grabbed some group shots, and then proceeded to head our separate ways. What an amazing camp.

The End…











You guys should know me by now; I don’t finish things like that. I urge you to keep reading. There’s some good stuff waiting for you.

There are a couple of messages I want to give out. To those of you who feel disconnected, dejected, uncomfortable at home, in school, in a relationship, know that God will fix this.

To those of you who find Christianity illogical, it is. Choosing to follow Christ was the most single most illogical thing I have ever done, but I have, nor will I, ever regret making that choice. He is perfect, despite being illogical. If everything was logical, there would be no need for faith. We could never fully put our trust in something. (Look out for a future blog on this topic.)

Finally, to you who feel like utter crap, I have one thing to say; there is a reason for everything.

“That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.” Romans 8:28

I have my own way of describing this; I don’t believe in coincidence, or chance. Those of you who went to RAW, went to it for a reason. Those of you who feel disconnected from God, that’s for a reason. Those of you who feel like utter crap, God’s got a reason for it. Know that he’s going to get you through this rough time.

Guys, if we don’t do something, the world is just going to get worse. Look around you today. How many broken hearts do you see? How many teenage live do you see destroyed by drugs? How many broken relationships do you see? Violence, pain, sex, despair, sorrow, grief, war… these are all things we weren’t meant to experience. But since the fall of man, we have. Now it’s time to make a stand. Now is the time when we fight for our generation. I believe in violence, but I fight with a new kind of violence; the violence of love! Praying, worshiping, becoming a stalker of Christ. You want to join the revolution? Gods already called you. All you have to do is accept. Hold on tight, ‘cause you’re in for the time of your lives!

And now come the dedications. Again, I know this should be at the start, but whatever.

Once again, to my friends, both old and new, once again, I must thank you for standing by me, through the good and bad times. You give me the strength I need.

To the group of 5 (you know who you are) when I look at you, I see more than what is on the outside; I see warriors for Christ, standing proud and strong, willing to fight for your king. To think that you would consider me you friend is quite frankly astounding. It is an honour to be called, and to call you, my friends.

To the two who talked to me. Words cannot describe the pleasure it gives to even be in the same room as you. You continually advise me, and when I am down, you encourage me so much. You must be so sick of me asking you for advice. Thank you though for sticking by me, throughout the time I have known you. I know that I am not the only one who faces problems, and so I wish to do my bit to encourage you. Everything happens for a reason, no matter how good or bad it may seem, it is all in Gods plan. Everything happens to you for a reason. All I can say is that God has an amazing plan for you.

“I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.” Jeremiah 29:11

Guys I don’t know where our lives are going to take us, or if you’re even reading this. But one thing’s for certain, I will always consider you my friends.

And finally to Christ, who has given me more than I ever could have been expected. Easter is not about chocolate bunnies, or hanging out with friends. It’s about you, who 2000 years ago was crucified for us, so that we can have a second chance, that we might be able to sit in your presence in heaven, and that we might love you. You entered the gates of hell, and battled Satan for our souls, so that you might say to him “This is my child, you no longer own him. I have paid for him.” But 2000 years ago, you rose from the grave, to show your perfect love. Just thinking about this makes me confused. I guess we’ll never really know what happened until we are in your presence. And now you have instructed us with the task of taking this generation back. THE REVOLUTION IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!!

From The Screwtape Letters
“Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys."

“In light of all this, here's what I want you to do. While I'm locked up here, a prisoner for the Master, I want you to get out there and walk—better yet, run!—on the road God called you to travel.”-Ephesians 4:1

“The promise of being transformed and ignited to holy passion by understanding and beholding God’s glorious personality is for all believers. No matter how weak or strong we feel, regardless of our previous failures, irrespective of our natural temperaments or personalities, each of us can be set ablaze with passion for Jesus.”-Mike Bickle

“It won't be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good.”
-1 Peter 5:10

“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.” -John 3:16

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"we were instantly greeted by Damo, who told us to literally, strip off our top clothes, and......."

Finish the sentence :L

I remember that post!!!!!!!!