Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Downfall Of A Legend...

This isn't a regular post of mine, but after what I've just saw, I am compelled to blog about the atrocities I have seen...

Now and forever, Metal Gear Solid has be ruined...

How has it been ruined? Simple, Konami have now decided to make, not only one game, but two...TWO! The story is finished! It ended with MGS4, and while as not as good as say MGS2 as regards story, the ending was the best I've seen in years. And now look what they've done. I knew it was coming, but I didn't realise it would be so bad...

MGS Rising is the new main release coming sometime within the next few years. You play Raiden...I'm sorry, despite his awesomeness in MGS4, it would be criminal to allow anyone to play him. He's a separate character in the series now. I can see why they made him the main protagonist in MGS2, to give us a new look at Solid Snake...But there in lies the biggest problem of all...without Snake, there really is no way MGS will be creditable. Big Boss works because of his lineage to Snake, but because of Snake's inevitable death (if you haven't played out the ending to MGS4, sorry, guess I've kind spoiled it) the series would be missing a vital part of its...well...its being. And in no way am I saying "Bring back Snake" because that wouldn't do him justice. He's earned his rest. And before I move on, Lorcan: I mean no offence to you or any other XBox 360 owner, but MGS Rising will come to you. It shouldn't. Konami is a sellout, MGS has always been a Playstation title, its part of its heritage, and they're only doing this to make more money...sorry, but if you do buy a copy of this for Xbox, I will personally make sure that it is destroyed before you've even had a chance to play it...

Things aren't all doom and gloom, because, despite my negative sounding above, the second title, called MGS Peace Walker has intrigued me. Get passed the ghey title, and it looks to be a solid game (no pun intended) along the same lines as Portable Ops. Big Boss, Costa Rica, Big Ass WMD's, what isn't there to like...well two things actually; 1) The Story. I'm not saying that I don't want to know why Big Boss did in the first Metal Gear games, but...I don't know, it just seems to me they're trying to make more money out of this dazzling franchise. 2)The platform. PSP. Again, Sony trying to boost sales by offering a title that none can refuse...

I'm not a happy bunny at all. The main reason why I'm not happy is that the MGS franchise should be given its well deserved rest. Kojima has managed to achieve something magnificent over the past 21 years, and I cannot help but be disgusted at the greed of the company. But more than that, Snake is dead, and without Snake, there cannot be a good MGS as I've already explained. Its time that the franchise be put away, not because its old and bland, but because it deserves the right to retain some of its dignity, and so does Snake. I'll buy the games, and I'll play them, but to me they won't be Metal Gear Solid, they'll be Metal Ghey Solid...

Rant Over...

6 comments:

Phiasmir said...

Aw man, that's horrible. Now you know how most Nintendo fanboys feel. Only they made all the games super-easy and lame. Deepest sympathies Phil.

Alternative strategy?

http://www.xkcd.com/566/

Nexus said...

If only it were that simple...:P

It just won't be the same. Even in the one that I said looked quite good there's a UFO type thing in it... Go and watch for yourself, but I doubt they would've had the technology in the MGS universe to build a Airbourne battle ship in 1970's Costa Rica...

Phiasmir said...

I just saw the teaser trailer for it Phil, I'm so sorry. It looks like they hired Edward Cullen to play Raiden and the lightning, and... oh Phil, I'm so sorry. I promise to give you a great big hug on Monday!

Nexus said...

That's definitly one way of putting it...

Yeah, Konami had better a)come up with something that drops a nuclear bomb on my brain, or b)scrap the thing all together.

Look up the trailer for Peace Walker though, it looks half decent...

Nicoley said...

If you're that outraged I dunno why you'd support yuor betrayer by buying the new games? It'd be like me heading out tomorrow and buying the entire Twilight series- I'd rather burn my money!

On second thought, if I bought the Twilight series it'd make better firewood...

Nexus said...

Ahh you see I shall buy them, but they'll never be Metal Gear Solid games. I'll buy them cause I'm interested in gameplay and story, but it won't be the same...

Its like a crazed Sega fanboy buying the latest Sonic game. He knows that it will never be the same as the older games, but he hopes that something good will come out of it...