Wednesday, April 15, 2009

RAW 09 The Great Encounter...

People may be getting sick of me saying “such and such was the greatest camp ever…” However, I want y’all to forget whatever I said about other camps, RAW 09 was THE GREATEST EXPERIENCE OF ALL TIME…PERIOD.

I mean it, this camp had everything…Worms, games, pipes, jammies, movies, a rave, late night craic, friends, 24 hour prayer, amazing talks, astounding worship, and the most important thing of all, a real and genuine encounter with the living God.

Camp started out like any normal camp, the normal greetings, general fun, finding our rooms…the usual. Dinner came, and thanks to the amazing Susan, throughout the camp our bellies were filled to the max.

However, as soon as we stepped into the first meeting, right from the onset, we could all tell that things were going to be different. Damian Parle, who we all knew, challenged us with a question, and would continue to challenge us throughout the camp. He started the camp by asking “Why are you really here?” It became clear to me that this week was going to do something amazing, that God was really going to move throughout the weekend.

We were then introduced to our speakers for the camp, Jorge and Ana, who had flown all the way from Arizona just to be there and minister to us through the theme of “encounter.” Ana lead the first talk, and taught from the Prodigal Son, and asking us to think of who in the story we most related to. She then explained because of the son’s wastefulness, that he was deceived, used up and stuck. But because he realised what he had done, he returned to his father, and gained humility and compassion. We then proceeded with some worship, and waited in anticipation for YAD SDRAWKCAB…

For those with a sharp eye, you’ll realise that YAD SDRAWKCAB is BACKWARDS DAY…well backwards! We were all asked to stay in our jammies, get supper, and head into the conference room for our next talk. Jorge led, and talked about having a face to face encounter with God. One of the objectives of the weekend he said was to have a radical change in our walk with Jesus, something that would take centre stage later. At the end of the meeting, we were given a questionnaire of sorts and asked to fill it out. I shan’t go into huge detail, but they were very personal questions.

We then huddle down, and watched our movie for the evening (it’s confusing I know), The Princess Bride! After dinner, we headed out into the forest for Damo’s version of fun, i.e. throwing eggs, tomatoes and water balloons at people. But unlike last year when we got the stuff thrown at us, it was the campers throwing the items at the leaders…Very funny stuff. We headed into lunch, after hanging out in the manor, you know, by playing Worms and what not.

The next talk was a big one. Jorge talked on the power of the cross, and what it had truly accomplished…It was one of the most moving talks ever. And if that wasn’t good enough, combined with some awesome worship and prayer time, we were given the challenge of watching clips from the Passion of the Christ. Truth be told, I had never see any part of the movie up until that point in time. In my honest opinion, I think every Christian should watch it, because although it may only be a human representation of the death of Christ, it is extremely moving. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house. While the clip was still being played, we were asked to fold up the questionnaires from earlier on, and using a nail and a hammer, nail it to one of two crosses that had been made. This was extremely deep and spiritual, and I have to say whoever came up with the idea is a genius.

After the emotional meeting, it was time for breakfast, and finally it was off to bed. But before that, we were reminded that there would be a 24 prayer marathon and that we could sign up. I put myself down for 8 in the morning, and headed to sleep…

Saturday greeted us, and we returned to normal…if there is such a thing. Breakfast was back to its proper time, and then it was time for our next talk. Ana spoke on forgiveness, and what it means, not only to be forgiven, but to forgive and how to go about that.

Lunch was shortly followed by the event of the day…the infamous slippy-slide! We were absolutely blessed with the weather, and we made the most of it. Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt, and the slide was absolutely great craic! We then headed back up to the manor. But here I shall take a break to tell a funny moment. Myself, Cat, Jane and Mikey had arrived early at the manor. We then decided to go inside, but as Cat was trying to pull Mikey up from the bench, her grip loosened, and fell flat on her back! You had to be there for it to be funny.

The prayer marathon continued, and after trying to get a tennis ball around the manor using guttering, dinner came and went. For the next meeting, we were split up into men and women (not boys and girls), and were then given a talk on image by Jorge and Ana respectively on Image, and how we are perceived by the world, each other and God. We then headed back to the conference room, and did a very interesting exercise. We were given a list of verses proclaiming different truths about ourselves from the Bible. We were then asked to get into pairs, and taking turns, shout out each truth. It was very…manly… Worship followed, and after supper, we played some games and took part in a music quiz. Then it was off to bed…

As per usual at Easter, we all got up a half hour before sunrise and headed down to the camp site for a sunrise service. We then headed back up to bed, although some of us didn’t go back to sleep. Every got up at round 11, and we had the regular late breakfast of sausage and scrambled egg. It was sweet.

The main activity then for the day was making adverts. Sounds simple…Not when you’ve to advertise life insurance to death row inmates, or audio cassettes for deaf people. All of them turned out really well and we all laughed for several minutes.

And then it was time. Time for the final evening. If you’ve ever been to an Ovoca camp, you’ll know the last evening is particularly amazing. Jorge talked about the Holy Spirit, and how we need to just let go, and let Him flood our lives. And the worship began, and it was mighty. I say this, with my hand on my heart, that the last evening was the greatest experience of my life. Better than any other camp, better than any Beyond 48, even better than Teenstreet. Honestly, to see every single one of my friends have an encounter with the living God to such an extent that it became life changing was one of the greatest sights ever. So much so that I decided to share it with the group, when Ana called people up to share our thoughts on what had just happened. And something amazing occurred. After I had left the front started to make my way back down, both Ana and Jorge said this; “Looks like we got ourselves a pastor!” God, through Ana and Jorge, had confirmed His plan for me. It was touching. Nathan then got up, and in plain terms, prophesized that I change for Ireland is coming, and the people at RAW were to do it.

Damo then took us outside, and put on a mini fireworks display for us, and then after that everyone headed down to the basement for rave that we had been promised! Then it was time to head to bed.

Morning came, and after breakfast, it was time for our final talk, this time lead by Damian. In it, he talked about the vision of a changed Ireland, and challenged us to be the people to bring about that change. And then, as we were standing, he asked me my name. “Philip…” I said. “Philip what?” he asked. “King…” “You my friend are going to go far!” I had just been complemented by Damian Parle! But you know what, it wasn’t just his words of encouragement, it was seeing the changed lives at camp that made me feel fantastic. And even more so, knowing that we had all been touched by God, and that He was forever with me, that’s what kept me going.

We said our thank you to the cook, and then to Ana and Jorge, by praying over them, and also giving them about €600 we had donated to them. We all said our final goodbyes, and made our way home…

But this time, something was different. There wasn’t the usual sadness that everyone feels, rather, there was an immense amount of joy and happiness! We felt strong leaving Ovoca, ready to head out into our homes, our schools, our communities, our towns, our cities, out nation…That’s what made camp for me. The fact that God hade touched our lives in such a way that we aren’t afraid of what’s to come. Rather, we are anticipating telling our families, friends, communities, and our nation about the encounter we had with the living God… And unlike times where we feel like they’re putting us down, we now actually have the strength to say that “We are right, because I know that God is real, that Jesus dies for my sins, and if you need proof, all you have to do is ask.” I myself can’t wait to start telling my school friends about what happened, and about what is going to happen…

And now the thank yous;

Muchos gracias to Ana and Jorge, and their incredible words of wisdom. May God forever be with you, and that He may be the cornerstone of your entire lives. We were so blessed to have you guys, and I think everyone who went to RAW will think the same.

A big thank you has to go out to the leaders, who put in so much effort into making RAW the greatest experience it was. May God continue to bless and use you for His glory. A great shout out must go to Damian, who I know from experience that he loves God in such a passionate way, and that he wants to communicate that to us. Every year, you pour your heart and soul into RAW, and the thanks you should get should be limitless…ohh, and thanks must go to Jude as well…:P

I think the previous thank yous are encompassed in this next one. A huge thank you must go to you, my friends. What I said on the last night came from my heart. It is so amazing to see the changes in your lives over the time that we have known each other through Christ Jesus. May these years be only the beginning of our friendships, that we may continue to grow in one another, that God will forever be with you, and that you may always know the He loves you…

Finally to Author and Finisher of our faith, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Alpha and Omega. Beginning and End. The Lion and the Lamb. No words can describe the thankfulness that I have for your provision of strength, kindness, mercy, faith, hope, friendship, grace and love to me. It is you who I live for, now and for all my days, for there is none like you, my Jesus. Let your name be exalted on high, and may your glory touch the lives of others like it has touched mine. And may your voice, word and light be my guide for all my days. Thank you for what you did 2000 years ago, and continue to do everyday of our lives. May Christ be the centre of my life, and let all of us take up His challenge…Thank You…

“In light of all this, here's what I want you to do. While I'm locked up here, a prisoner for the Master, I want you to get out there and walk—better yet, run!—on the road God called you to travel.”-Ephesians 4v1

“The promise of being transformed and ignited to holy passion by understanding and beholding God’s glorious personality is for all believers. No matter how weak or strong we feel, regardless of our previous failures, irrespective of our natural temperaments or personalities, each of us can be set ablaze with passion for Jesus.”-Mike Bickle

“It won't be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good.”
-1 Peter 5v10

“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.” -John 3v16

“Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”
-Ephesians 5v1-2

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
-Galatians 2v20

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
-2 Corinthians 4v18

“He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing…”
-Ephesians 2v10

“I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. When you come looking for me, you'll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed."
-Jeremiah 29v11-13

1 comment:

Nicoley said...

Wow, sounds like the sort of camp I've been missing. I never seem to be able to make it to RAW :S Maybe I will next year, although with the LC...