Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Covenant Complete...

"For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect..."

-1 Peter 1 v 18-19

Justice is a very interesting word don't you think? I mean, what is justice? Websters defines justice as " the administration of law ; especially : the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity..." And yet the Bible does not very clearly express a definition of justice. In fact, the word itself is hardly used in the New Testament. So what is justice according to God?

Truth be told, I'm only writing this off the top of my head, and truth be told, I really can't find a single verse that describes justice in a Biblical sense. The closet that can be found would be Mathew 20 v 1-16. If one was to examine this passage carefully, one would be able to find some definitions as regards to justice...

But why am I talking about justice? Again, as a lot of my posts speak of, and will continue to, we have all sinned against God. If you want a definition of sin, the last post is a good place to start. But not only have we sinned, be we have been sinned against by other people. Some of you may have been bullied, betrayed, physically hurt...but later in life, it is possible that people will be abused in marriage, sexually abused, discriminated against, or just hurt emotionally...

First of all, it is one of my deepest desires that none of you reading this will be abused in anyway, shape or form. It is crime for anyone to abuse another person in any form, whether it be deliberate, or for the fun of it.

I can personally speak of betrayal in my life, because people in my primary school once betrayed me. I can clearly remember the last day of school, as I walked out the gates for the last time, I remember saying to myself in regards to the hurt that person had caused me "I want blood..."

Scary no? Humble Philip King would turn out to be a person who wished to gain revenge on that person...

And then, as I was reading this week, it turns out that the response I whispered to myself was actually one of great delight...







Philip, are you completely mad? You ask...

No...




When I said "I wanted blood," I was saying that I wanted justice...

I'm going to say something, and you can try and tell me otherwise, but when it comes to certain situations, I'm a wimp. Its true. And its one of the reasons I couldn't kill anyone, because I would be too scared of the consequences. But wanting justice, that's something that everyone can relate to...


Going back to the issue of sin, again, we have all sinned against God, and so we deserve punishment for our crimes. We deserve justice for we have done...

And yet...

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin..."

-1 John 1 v 7

Jesus took the blame, and became our new covenant sacrifice, through the blood that was shed on the cross. Blood is a physical sign of death, a sign that we have sinned, and our fear of blood outside of the body is because it reminds us that we are human, and that we have sinned. That is why the Day of Atonement was so important in Old Testament times. Its a fascinating study, and if you wish to look into, read Leviticus 16. But in basic terms, blood would be spilled on the alter for the nations sin... But how long can the blood of a lamb cleanse us from sin? God knew that the blood of this earth would never purify us, and so God himself needed to remove the Old Covenant, and replace it with the New Covenant in Christ...

Christ's blood, the New Covenant, covers all sin, and just as it says in the verse above, cleanses us from our inequities. And not only does it cover us, but it covers those who have hurt us. Justice will be down at the end of the day. Either that person will accept Jesus and be covered by His blood, or they will stand before Him on the Day of Days and be judged...

And how do we gain this justice, this New Covenant?

Simple...

Let Him be the Nexus in our lives...

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"

-Romans 5 v 8-10

No comments: